In this stage, the Helgon Trail largely follows the Gästrikeleden. Start at Älvkarleby in Uppland, an exciting area with the river Dalälven, the falls in Älvkarleby, and so on. The stage continues through the forests towards the villages Kubbo and Mårtsbo.
Gästrikeleden is marked with orange arrows, painted tree trunks and posts. You will need to be attentive sometimes, as several joints cross each other. Follow the marking!
Rest areas and wind shelters are available along the trail.
The stage ends at the river/the canal, by a small waterfall and a ready-made bathing spot with a jetty. There is also a bench for sitting and relaxing at this quiet place.
A small forest road goes from the bathing area up to Mårtsbo old school, where you can book an overnight stay in advance.
Rest StopMårtsbo, the old schoolhouse, Mårtsbo, Gävle
Safety informationIn case of emergency, call 112.
Don't forget your water bottle and the lunch box!
Tips and hintsThe small jetty by the creek in Mårtsbo!
EquipmentYou might need good hiking shoes or boots after the rain, or in the spring during snowmelt. Don't forget to bring your water bottle and the lunch bag! Mosquito repellent may be needed.
Basic Equipment for Pilgrim Walks
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Religious objects and material as required
Things to Bring if Staying in a Hostel
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pilgrim ID card
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.